top of page

Register to Vote in Monongalia County, WV

You can't vote in Monongalia County if you're not registered, but registering is easy.

The West Virginia Secretary of State's Office allows West Virginians to register to vote online. You can also check the status of your registration and update or change your registration.

Residents of Monongalia County can register to vote or update their voter registration address and political party by completing the West Virginia Voter Registration application. The deadline to register to vote or make a change to your voter registration is 21 days prior to the next election. Applicants must be 17 years of age to apply and must be 18 on or before Election Day to be eligible to vote. Voter registration and updates may be completed online at, in person or through the mail to the Monongalia County Clerk’s Office.

Register to vote in Monongalia County, WV!

Voters must show an approved form of identification at the polls during early voting or on election day. All forms of ID must be valid and not expired. This law does not apply to absentee-by-mail voting, or any person who falls under an exception listed. First-time voters who did not present an ID at the time of registering must provide one of the forms of ID outlined.

Acceptable Forms of Non-Photo Identification:

  • Voter registration card

  • Medicare card or Social Security card

  • Birth certificate

  • WV hunting or fishing license

  • WV SNAP ID card

  • WV TANF program ID card

  • WV Medicaid ID card

  • Bank or debit card

  • Utility bill or bank statement issued within six months of the date of the election

  • Health insurance card issued to the voter

  • Any document issued by the WV or US government that displays the voter's name

  • Any document issued by the state of WV or U.S. government containing voter's name, including a WV driver's license, passport, U.S. or WV government employee ID or military ID


Acceptable Forms of Photo Identification:

  • Driver's license issued by another state

  • Student ID card

  • A concealed carry (pistol/revolver) permit

Monongalia County residents with questions about registering or updating your registration have options!

You can contact the Monongalia County Clerk by calling 304-291-7230 or call the WVSOS office at 304-558-6000.

bottom of page